Church of Saint John of O Freixo

Church of Saint John of O Freixo

The parish church is located within a beautiful set formed by the houses, two calvaries, the rectory, the music stand and the old school.
The original structure of this building dates back to the 12th century, in the Romanesque period. Lots of alterations were made throughout time; the most relevant ones are from the 17th century, when two side naves are built, together with a bell tower to be jointed to the roof of the temple, creating that way a big portico.

The north nave is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. It was built in 1672 by Antonio Sanjurjo Montenegro, brother of Count Fernando Sanjurjo Montenegro, presbyter in O Freixo at that time. The bell tower was restored after damages caused by a ray. The restoration was paid by neighbours of O Freixo who had emigrated to Cuba.